I’m not going to sugar coat it; you have to create a marketing plan for your blog.
Creating a marketing plan for your blog is one of the most important things you will do in your blogging business.
Yes, it is important to have a niche that you are interested, that has a problem that you can solve, that has a market that is large enough.
It is essential to be able to write and create great content for your blog that will interest people.
But the truth is if you don’t have a plan for how you are going to get traffic, how you are going to engage with that traffic and how you are going to monetize the traffic…You will hear crickets…no one will know your blog exists. 😮
Sure, you might get lucky and get a bit of random organic traffic from search engines.
However, if you publish a blog online and don’t create any plans for how you are going to market it, you will have a lovely blog with awesome content that no one knows about. 🙁
In this article, we are going to explore how to create a marketing plan for your blog.
Goals, Strategies, and Tactics
When creating a marketing plan, or any plan for that matter, I like to start with what my goals are going to be. Then from there decide on the strategies, and specific tactics to use to accomplish my goals.
Goals are what you want to accomplish.
Strategies are how you are going to accomplish it.
Tactics are specific actionable steps to make those strategies happen.
I like to think of it like I am making a cake.
My goal is to have a yummy, delicious, iced cake on my counter.
My strategies to accomplish this goal are to0:
- Mix up the ingredients that go into a cake.
- Put the mix in the oven and bake it.
- Take the baked cake out of the oven and ice it.
- Finally, put the cake on the counter…and try not to eat it until the kids get home.
My tactics would be the actionable steps I need to do in each of my strategies.
- I need to follow the recipe and add the right amount of ingredients to the cake mix.
- Then, I will put the cake in the oven at a specific temperature, for a specific amount of time.
- When the cake is done cooking, I will take the cake out, let the cake cool, and then ice it.
- Finally, I will set the cake on the counter in a beautiful dish, and probably put something over it, so I don’t eat it. ?
Marketing Plan Goals
My marketing goals are what I want to accomplish for my blog.
For example, my marketing goals for The Mamma Hustle are to:
- Drive traffic
- Engage with that traffic
- Magnetize that traffic
- Convert that traffic into some form of monetization.
I am aware that not all my traffic will stay around long enough to engage with me or get to know me better.
A lot of the traffic I get will not become magnetized by joining my mailing list.
Most of my traffic will not convert or make me any money, and that is something I am ok with.
Ultimately, however, these are the marketing goals I want to accomplish in my marketing plan.
Action Step: Write down what your marketing goals are for your blog.
Marketing Plan Strategies
Marketing strategies are a bit more specific. They are how you are going to accomplish each stage of your marketing goals.
So for me to accomplish my marketing goal of driving traffic to my site, I might try a few of these strategies.
There are so many strategies for driving traffic to your blog, what ones will work best for you depend on your blog and where your market hangs out. However, these are great base strategies to use when you are trying to drive free traffic to your blog.
Action Step: Write down what your marketing strategies are for your blog.
Marketing Plan Tactics
Marketing tactics are specific actionable steps you are going to take to achieve each of your strategies. These are the action items, the things you have to do to get results. The more specific you are with these, the better.
For example, if I want to work on my SEO strategy, my actionable steps to get SEO results are to:
- Do keyword research.
- Install the free Yoast SEO plugin to track SEO for my post
- Optimize my posts, images alt tags, with keywords
- Build relationships with other bloggers and start guest posting by connecting with a few each week.
- Reference other important blogs and link to them…this might get a few quality backlinks, great for SEO.
These are just a few of the tactics I might use to drive traffic to my blog using SEO.
Action Step: Write down what your marketing tactics are for your blog.
Creating a Marketing plan for your blog is essential.
If you don’t have a specific, plan for how you are going to get traffic, engage with that traffic, magnetize the traffic, and convert or monetize the traffic, then you are going to have a long, tough road ahead of you.
So get started today creating a marketing plan for your blog.
Decide what your marketing plan goals are.
Write down specific strategies to accomplish those goals.
Get started with specific actionable steps that you need to be doing to make sure those strategies happen.
Start your mom blog, follow along in this actionable series to get started today!
- How To Choose A Blog Niche
- What Type Of Blog Should You Start
- Easy Blog Name Ideas For Your Mom Blog
- How To Start A Mom Blog
- How To Brand Your Mom Blog
- 20 Free Feminine WordPress Themes
- Best WordPress Plugins When Starting A Mom Blog
- How To Create A Content Plan For Your Blog
- An Easy Peasy Way To Write A Blog Post
- Essential Pages For Your New Blog
- 7 Ways To Monetize Your Mom Blog
- Time Management Tips For Mom Bloggers
Join The Momma Hustle Newsletter
Join the hustle. Stay up to date on all the news and activity at The Momma Hustle! You won't be disappointed.